Wednesday 16 June 2010

Us Brits are not supposed to be jolly about Nap Bonaparte - we are better trained, when hearing his name, to suck air through our lips as though sucking lemon and assume a disapproving face.  But he is credited with a lot of terribly clever quotations.  And one I came across recently suggested that if someone attacked you, the only fair thing to do is fight back.

Hmm.  I LIKE that, you know.

Anyone who knows the mad lines in which we have recently lived will also know I have not been adept at this fighting back thing; more at Turning T'other Cheek until my head spins on its axis. However.  However.  Someone told me recently (and I KNOW this is dodgy ground, this "she said that she said" thing that goes on, but even so, bear with me...) that it had been suggested that I "never got anything finished". Because I am "disorganised".

Pause for growling yowl of anger.

I am perhaps more paranoid than is normal, having been at the receiving end of accusatory rubbish for some time, BUT if ANYONE is to call me disorganised, in the same way that if anyone is to call my dog stupid,  then only I, and I alone, shall be the one to say it.

It's not that it isn't true.  I am terribly disorganised.  Perhaps because I like to cloak myself in so many tasks that eventual drowning in them is the only option.  So this led to me thinking of what I have achieved in the last 24 hours.  And at the risk of bragging (this is after all my blog, so why not) I think it's actually rather a lot. And so I'm blogging it.  Because since it's only me who reads this, I might like to look back at this in a month or so and think "oh golly, quite a lot did get done after all and what a pat on the back for me". Horrid conceit and all.

So.  In the last 24 hours I have:

1. Prepared very interesting (yes it IS) 2 hour session on prosody and meta-language in modern British English.

2. Contacted 3 old friends in Japan with long newsy and chatty emails after several years delay.
3. Organised team of 12 for dragonboat regatta.
4. Organised training session for the same, though that is meant to be a secret.
5. Created proof-type mock up of school cookbook.
6. Weeded school garden, planted mini orchard, 6 pumpkins and 12 tomatoes.
7. Taken dog on 2 x 5 mile runs
8. Made fish-and-preserved lemon tagine
9. Made Tom Yum from scratch
10. Learnt words to Brigitte Bardot's Moi Je Joue after request from 4 year old, omitting inappropriate "oooh plus fort!" bit at end.
11. Taken 2 children through Baa Baa Black Sheep Using Both Hands on piano, 4 times.
12. Cleansed dog of foxy faeces.
13. Cleansed hall carpet of same.
14. Learned 4 phrases in Thai as part of dastardly plan to surprise cousin at wedding next month.
15. Learned Deutchland Deutschland on accordion in response to request from friend who wants it next week.
16. Washed and dried 4 lifejackets
17. Scolded slugs lurking in greenhouse and removed to next door.
18. Amused builders with unexpected witticism.
19. Gone through final proof of website belonging to soon-to-be-launched business.
20. Applied for RHS funding for school garden.
21. Rescued abused frog from clutches of dog.
22. Looked up precise role of Chuchi Gangdruk in response to request from 5 year old who couldn't find Tibet on globe.
23. Sourced clay and clay oven building plans for Father's Day present this Sunday. (Dad, if you're reading, don't worry - it's not for you - it's from the kids to R.  You're getting a book)
24. Cut sleeves off winter shirts in attempt to create summer wardrobe without having to shop.
25. Marked 5 papers of varying ability on Latinate forms in formal English.
26.  And finally...created International Music Library on CDS for nursery



Forget washing, cooking and the rest.  Who says I never get anything done?
Raspberries INDEED!


Afterthought

And no, of COURSE I haven't washed my kitchen floor.  Because when I could have been doing THAT, I wrote this instead.  Everyone needs a bit of pointless timewasting after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment